Monday, August 29, 2016

Adventures in Homeschooling


           

“It’s back-to-school time, or as homeschoolers call it, stay-where-you-are time.”

 ~ Stephen Colbert


Our family has had a lot of adventure since last I wrote a blog post. We made the decision to move across the country, and we'll be here for the next couple of years. With this big decision came another: we're going to be homeschooling during our time here. Homeschooling is something that I have been reading about and thinking about since before the girl was even old enough to start school. It's something that I have always wished that we could do, and with this move it seemed like the perfect opportunity to make it a part of our lives. It's exciting and scary, but we're all learning together, and that, to me, is my favorite part.


We "started school" last Thursday with some science, some physical activity, some math and reading comprehension (by following a recipe for apple crisp), and lots of quiet reading time. My approach so far is to have a loose schedule for each day of the week. We purchased curriculum for math and history, and everything else I am either sourcing online or making up as we go. There are so many resources available for free on the internet - it's really incredible! We also have a library that offers an entire homeschooling resources SECTION. How cool is that!?!? I will get more into the details of our daily routines at some point. For now we're just trying to find our rhythm and enjoy the freedom of not having to rush out the door every morning.


When you are adventuring, there isn't always time to decide how you imagine things will turn out. You jump in. You have fun. You show love to your companions. You pack extra snacks. My family is my favorite team, and it's pretty special to me that we get to embark on this particular adventure together.

More soon.

P.S. This song has been stuck in my head for 5+ days now. It's like living in a Contempo Casuals. Peace.


0 comments:

Post a Comment