Thursday, March 13, 2014

Perfectly Frumpy Sweaters For Two







Last week, I needed to sew. I just *needed* to, you know? I started looking through my Pinterest boards, which is apparently my go-to activity for inspiration (just look at my "crafty" tab - I mention Pinterest frequently). I really want to make some spring clothing this year - I would love to get in the habit of making a few new pieces with each season. I thought it best to start with something for the girl. That's when I found this amazingly clear and simple tutorial from Craftiness Is Not Optional. Wow. I am in love! Not only was this a simple garment, but I didn't need a pesky serger, which I don't have. Hooray!

The girl chose her fabric colors and I got to work. It took me almost two hours, I would say, from drafting of the pattern to finished product (I still need to iron these puppies...ironing is not so much my thing). Once she had one, well. It was seconds until the boy declared that he wanted one, too. "BLUE AND SILVER!!!!!" (Silver is kind of his thing.)

The second time around was much quicker - a little over an hour. I made the body of his the same size, even though there are two years and two sizes between my kids. I shortened the length of the arms, and made the pockets without the pleat. He loves it, and has requested that I add a big button to the front so that he can partially close it at the top. 

I used a delightful 12 ounce cotton knit for these, and I only wish that I had more information about where this beautiful fabric came from. I bought a ton of it from a big group order on a sewing message board about four or five years ago. MESSAGE BOARDS, YOU GUYS. The good old days.

I will likely be making several more of these in more colors and sizes, perhaps with varying pockets and a belt, or even a hood. YES. A HOOD. HOOOOOOOOOODS!!!!!!

Now I'm working on my knitting projects, and I may try to sneak in some smaller sewing here and there. I'm itching to make one of these amazing quilted mug rugs from Amanda at Ms. McPorkchop Quilts. Her quilting skills are pretty amazing, for reals. I love to look through her past projects for motivation. I have a lot of quilting to do this year!

I hope that everyone is having a fine Thursday. We had a snow day today, but the sun has come out for a bit, so even though it's cold, it still feels cheerful inside. Come on, Spring!!!!! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment