Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Top 10 Cover Songs of 2013

This might be my favorite of my annual "top" lists. Cover songs are a great passion of mine, and this year there were some pretty great ones to enjoy. Maybe a few from last year that I'm still enjoying. Maybe. Probably. Yes, that is something that happened.

10. Lorde covers "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears For Fears



This song is on the Hunger Games: Catching Fire soundtrack. I'm kind of obsessed with it, even though it has only been out for a few weeks. Dark versions of 80s songs? You know I'm all about that.

9. Vampire Weekend covers "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke



Ezra Koenig singing falsetto and wearing those painted-on pants with the fresh white sneakers. I can't even. 

8. Bastille covers "Died in Your Arms" by Cutting Crew



Do I even need to get into it here? Bastille is well known for their ability to cover just about anything and make it enjoyable, and when they released this little morsel in November as promotion for Bad Blood finally being available in the US, well. I lost my mind for three minutes and 21 seconds.

7. Miley Cyrus covers "Jolene" by Dolly Parton



Before you get all up in Miley's wrecking balls, let me ask you something: HAVE YOU LISTENED TO THIS? Show some respect.

6. Langhorn Slim and The Lumineers cover "I Held Her In My Arms" by the Violent Femmes



Cover one of my favorite bands, and you have me in the palm of your greasy, pseudo-hipster mitts. There is no excuse as to why they didn't all play this together at Newport this year. NO EXCUSE.

5. Chris Thile covers "Fast As You Can" by Fiona Apple



GOOD GOD YOU ALL. My greatest regret in life will be that I didn't go and see Chris Thile play Bach in Albany this October. WHY AM I SO DUMB. WHY. WHYYYYYYY. But this right here is something special that I can take comfort in. Perfection. 

4. Peter & Kerry cover "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak



A couple of notes on this one. Firstly, the husband's obsession with Peter & Kerry has finally taken me down. They are incredible. How are they not huge right now? How. How. How is that possible. Listen guys, please come to the US. Please. Please please please please please. Secondly, ALL OF THE FEELS. The end.

3. Ellie Goulding covers "Tessellate"by Alt-J



We're all in agreement that we love Alt-J, yes? The husband put this cover on a mix for me at some point this year, and I mean...better than the original? I have so many emotions.

2. The Punch Brothers cover "Just What I Needed" by The Cars



"Wait, Kristi. Wasn't this cover on your top covers list last year?" YUP. "Um...this concert wasn't even in 2013. It's from 2012, too." IT SURE IS FROM 2012. IS THERE A PROBLEM? GET YOUR PATCHOULI STINK OUTTA MY STORE.

1. Phosphorescent covers "Ya Hey" by Vampire Weekend



Do you want to cry? Here you go. Because this is beautiful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment