Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Make This Happen: Best French Sandwich Rolls


Last week, we were out of bread. My daughter loves sandwiches for lunch, so this was a problem.

OR WAS IT?

My mother had printed out this recipe for me quite a while ago, and it's been hanging out in the "breads" section of my recipe binder. I felt like it was the perfect time to give it a go, and for reals - you need to make these rolls. They TASTE LIKE BREAD. So much better than so much of the breadstuffs that you would buy at a grocery store. They were really easy to make, and I like that it only makes four rolls - perfect for my family! 

They were great for sandwiches, but the husband and I also enjoyed splitting a buttered one with some salads. I even made a second batch a couple of days later!

Best French Sandwich Rolls
{originally from food.com}

1 1/2 tsp. yeast
1 c. water
3 1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. salt

1. Combine the yeast with tepid but not warm water and let sit until convinced the yeast isn't dead, 10 minutes maximum.

2. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups of the flour, oil, and salt, add the water/yeast, and stir/add more flour until the ball pulls away from the bowl. (*I used my KitchenAid Mixer with the dough hook attachment, and I did not need to add any extra flour. Your experience may vary.)

3. Sprinkle flour over kneading surface and over the ball, and knead for about 7 minutes. (*Again, I used my KitchenAid, which I let do the kneading for me!)

4. Lightly oil a bowl and coat the dough ball, then cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow to rise until doubled, about 50-60 minutes.

5. Punch down the dough and divide into quarters. Shape into 4 hoagie rolls, generally long and oval in shape. Allow to rise for 20 minutes on a lightly greased baking sheet.

6. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees with an empty baking dish (*I actually used an old, deep baking sheet. It got some rust spots, but it worked, and I'm not sure how I would feel about throwing ice onto a hot ceramic baking dish.) on the bottom rack as the dough rises.

7. Place the baking sheet on the center rack and turn the heat down to 375 degrees.

8. For each of the first four minutes of baking, toss ice cubes into the empty baking dish to create steam.

9. The rolls should be medium brown and doubled in height within 25-30 minutes. Check on them often!

0 comments:

Post a Comment