Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Complete Breakdown: Opening Number of the Tony Awards 2013

Did you watch the Tony Awards on Sunday night?!?!?!? I thought it was an incredible show. The opening number was particularly fantastic, so I decided that I needed to break it down.

Oh, you guys! It's like Once

BUT IT'S NEIL PATRICK HARRIS

AND HE'S SINGING

The show was at Radio City Music Hall this year. So beautiful. 

Neil doesn't need this guitar. He's got bigger things on his mind.

Like winking. 

I wonder who got the bid on that gigantic Tony award. 

Neil is dancing with some of the cast from Kinky Boots.

He likes their kinky boots.

Berry Gordy! 

Ladies from Motown: The Musical, and Neil accidentally doing the robot.

But seriously, Neil Patrick Harris JUMPED THROUGH A HOOP.
CAN WE ALL JUST TAKE A MOMENT TO APPRECIATE THAT.

At first I was like, Pippin as a circus? What? But then I was like, PATINA MILLER AS THE LEADING PLAYER - PROCEED.

As far as I can tell, Bring It On: The Musical is only marginally like the movie. 
Also, EVERYTHING IS NOW A MUSICAL.

I assure you that this blurry image is a one Mike Tyson, who did a 6 night stint on Broadway this year with his one-man show, Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth, which was DIRECTED BY SPIKE LEE.

All of the Matildas,

and none of the Billy Elliots.

The kids from Annie and A Christmas Story (remember that thing I said about how EVERYTHING IS A MUSICAL). That is a lot of child actors right there.

At this point I'm wondering if Neil has passed out yet.

But then he climbs into a magic box...

AND DISAPPEARS...

only to reappear at the back of the theater, trailed by a bunch of Newsies.

I love Jesse Tyler Ferguson. Also, that looks like Fred Willard behind him.

Tom Hooper Les Mis Closeup

This is my new favorite photo of Tom Hanks. Please feel free to use it.


The fast-paced breakdown portion of this opening number was amazeballs.

Talkin bout high kicks.

But seriously, LOOK AT NPH'S LEG. CAN HE PLEASE DO ALL OF THE THINGS.

Cinderella costumes are redonk.

How much do I love Anna Kendrick. Debra Messing would look pretty good with a shaved head.

Look at all of these super delighted white people.

Neil is scaling the Tony award. I can't.

FIERCE.

I love it when it all comes together at the end.

SERIOUSLY DANGLING FROM THE TONY.

4 seconds from heart attack.

41 years later, cast of Pippin still in leotards.

AT THIS POINT I FLAILED OUT OF MY CHAIR.
BERG.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Harvey

CYNDI

Still holding that pose.

Still hanging off of a damn Tony.

MORE BERG. NEVER STOP.

The Echelon of Greatness: Richard Kind, Tom Hanks, BERNADETTE PETERS FOREVER

Oh, Megan Hilty.

The opening was about 8 minutes long. 8 MINUTES. NPH is the hardest working awards host of all times. May they be lucky enough to get him again next year, and basically until the end of time.

Watch the whole performance here:





2 comments: