Friday, May 24, 2013

Make This Happen: Sweet Potato and Andouille Sausage Quiche


I wasn't sure that this was going to work out, but it did, and in the most wonderful way.

I have been trying really hard to keep up with the weekly menu planning. Even if I don't cook everything that I plan to, it's great to have things scheduled so that there is always *something* to eat. I had defrosted a piece of andouille sausage, intending to fry it up with some egg noodles for dinner on Wednesday. This didn't end up happening (many thanks to the husband for making some delish ravioli instead). I knew I wanted to incorporate it into yesterday's dinner, which was originally going to be stuffed baked sweet potatoes.

After a google search for things to do with andouille and sweet potatoes, I discovered a recipe for a savory pie. This got me thinking about quiche. I googled quiche recipes. Then I took the two and sort of made this hybrid pie that was sweet and savory, and pretty much my new favorite thing.

Sweet Potato and Andouille Quiche

1 pie crust (make your favorite recipe, or use store-bought)
1 large sweet potato
1/2 onion, chopped
1 link andouille sausage, diced (about 1/2 lb.)
1 cup heavy cream
3 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
fresh ground pepper
garlic powder
olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange pie crust into the bottom of a 9" pie plate. (I used store-bought pie dough, but if you're looking for a good homemade recipe, I highly recommend The Pioneer Woman's version.) Prick the crust several times with a fork. Lay in a piece of tinfoil and fill with pie weights (if you're like me and you don't own pie weights, you can fill the foil with dried beans). Bake the crust for 20 minutes. Remove foil + weights and bake for another 10 minutes.

2. Bake your sweet potato. I use the microwave method - run the potato under water, insert a knife 3 times on each side of the potato, and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave for 5 minutes, flip over and microwave for another 5-6 minutes. (You can also bake your potato in the oven. 400 degrees for about 45 minutes on a foil-lined baking sheet.)

3. Heat up a frying pan with about 1 Tbs of olive oil. Add in your chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and a bit of garlic powder. Add in the andouille and fry to your liking (I like mine a bit crisp).

4. Cut open the sweet potato and scoop the flesh out into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachement. Stir for a minute on low to break it up. Add in heavy cream and 3 eggs, one at a time, then salt. Mix until smooth. Stir in the andouille and onions with a spoon.

5. Pour the mix into the crust. You may have a bit of leftover mixture. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. You can test to see if it's done by moving the pie plate back and forth. If it's not jiggly, it's ready! Let it sit on the counter under a piece of tinfoil for about 5 minutes before eating.



I served our pie with a pile of salad greens and some simple dressing of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a pinch of salt. You can substitute grilled mushrooms for the andouille as a vegetarian option. This dish would be perfect for a brunch!

1 comment: