Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Make This Happen: Super Simple Mushroom and Lentil Soup



This morning I had a sudden burst of motivation, and it was telling me that I needed to make soup! I had a package of mushrooms in the fridge that I knew wouldn't last much longer, and a baggie of overflow lentils (You know, when you have slightly more lentils then there is room for in your lentil jar? I'm sure it happens to everyone.), and so this very simple and very delicious soup was born. I recommend it for a day just like today, when it's still a bit cold out but the sun is shining through the house, willing spring to quit stalling and get to getting here.

Simple Mushroom and Lentil Soup (vegan)

1 small onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 package cremini mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
olive oil
3 Tbs. potato starch
6 cups meatless beef broth or stock (you can also use veggie)
1 cup dry green lentils

Get a nice heavy pot onto your burner and pre-heat it on medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to the bottom while you are chopping and slicing your veggies. Add the carrots and onions first and cook until the onions are a bit soft. Add a bit of salt and pepper, then add in your mushrooms. You may want to add a bit more olive oil if things are looking dry.

Let the veggies cook for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are nicely browned. Add in the potato starch and stir everything until it is incorporated. Add in your stock and stir continuously to dissolve the potato starch. Bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, add in the dry lentils. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, then turn down to a simmer and cover with a lid. Let it sit on your stove for a few hours, checking every 30 minutes or so to stir it up and taste for salt and pepper.



BONUS: I tossed all of the veggie scraps (onion skins and ends, carrot skins and ends, mushroom stems) into a stock pot, added a couple of whole carrots cut in half, a quartered unpeeled onion, some cherry tomatoes that were getting wilty, and a leftover piece of red bell pepper that was in my fridge. I filled the pot about 3/4 full of cold water and covered it with a lid, bringing to a quick boil. Once boiling, I turned the heat down to low and it's been sitting on my stove for several hours. Soon I will drain it into a big bowl - Voila! Homemade vegetable stock!


0 comments:

Post a Comment