Thursday, February 21, 2013

Make This Happen: Spaghetti Subs


I don't know if you are ready for the amazingness of this creation to shine down upon you. But I will share it with you anyway.

When I was putting together the menu for the week over the weekend, I asked if anyone had any suggestions. The husband said, "Hey - you know what would be cool? A SPAGHETTI SUB."

He's not sure where this idea came from. Had he eaten a spaghetti sub before? Did we just see it offered on the menu of a local pizza shop? Who knows. The point is, ideas were forming. What if I made the buns into garlic bread.

WHAT IF I MADE THE BUNS INTO GARLIC BREAD.

I made these last night, and I have to say - SPECTACULAR. While I don't advise eating these weekly, because man that is a lot of carbs, I would say that they are a marginally healthy treat, and well worth the mass of dirty dishes.

Spaghetti Subs (Vegan)
makes 2 subs

1/2 lb. dry spaghetti
12 oz. sauce of your choice
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 small onion
sub rolls
2 Tbs. olive oil
garlic powder
salt, pepper, oregano
handful of Daiya cheese shreds, mozzarella style


1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, make your spaghetti. It is likely that you understand how to make pasta. You boil a big pot of water, and once it's boiling you add some salt. You throw in the spaghetti (half of a box, or 1/2 pound - this will yield some leftovers for lunch tomorrow) and cook until al dente. Drain it!


2. Slice up your pepper and onion, and fry them up in a bit of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Fry them until they are a bit soft and the onions have caramelized to your liking. Set aside.


3. Get your sauce into a small sauce pan and heat it up. You can use any kind of sauce that you like. I just used half of a jar of store-bought marinara last night, but you can make your own if you're feeling up to it.


4. TOASTA YO BUNS! (Make sure that you do not cut your rolls completely in half!) For the garlic bread rolls, I used a pastry brush and covered each side of the roll liberally with olive oil, and then sprinkled on some garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oregano. I personally don't like to use raw garlic on my garlic bread, but if you are into it you can finely chop some and sprinkle it on. Toast the rolls on a cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, or until they start to crisp. Don't leave them in for too long, because we will be putting them back in once they are stuffed to melt the cheese!


5. Add your cooked spaghetti to your sauce.


6. ASSEMBLE! I recommend using tongs to get your spaghetti into your rolls. Try not to overstuff, though you may be tempted. You don't want the sauce to overpower the bun and make it soggy. Top spaghetti with fried pepper and onion mixture.


7. Sprinkle on your Daiya cheese, and get the subs into the oven! Bake until cheese is melty enough for your desires. THEN EAT THESE SANDWICHES.

I served mine with a little pile of mixed greens and a simple dressing of balsamic vinegar and oil. These were so good. I mean, I'm really sorry, because now you're going to be thinking about them all day. Please let me know if you try these!


1 comment:

  1. This is too much. TOO MUCH.

    They will surely tip the scale and turn me into a diabetic for good. BUT OH MY GOD.

    ReplyDelete