Thursday, December 27, 2012

Top 12 Cover Songs of 2012

I am very obsessed with bands doing covers of songs, and this year there were so many good ones to choose from. Here are my favorite selections. PLEASE TO ENJOY.

Honorable Mention
Bitches in Bookshops



While not technically a cover, this has got to be one of the most genius songs of the year. A parody of the infamous Jay Z and Kanye song, I have listened to this many times, to the point where I often sing it to myself whilst browsing for books. READ SO HARD LIBRARIES WANNA FINE ME.

12. Noah covers "I'm Sexy and I Know It" by LMFAO


Noah covers many songs on his YouTube channel (username only1noah), but this is one of the most genius examples of a cover song exceeding the quality of the original. I was so surprised the first time that I heard this, and in the most pleasant of ways. Noah is totally awesome, you guys.

11. Haim covers "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac



One of my favorite musical discoveries of 2012 was the trio of sisters that make up the group Haim. Get them to cover Fleetwood Mac and I am basically done. Listen to them completely rock out and I guarantee your day will be 110% better.

10. Robert Ellis covers "Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War" by Paul Simon



The husband and I were fortunate enough to hear Robert Ellis cover quite a bit of Paul Simon this year, but this? This is something so special and beautiful that it has become my favorite. I can't wait to hear Robert again...soon? PLEASE?

9. Dawes and Ben Sollee cover "I Dig Love" by George Harrison


There were many cool collaborations that came out of the Paste fort at the Newport Folk Festival this year, but please. All of my favorite boys playing some Harrison. Best.

8. The Head and The Heart cover "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac


Rumors is one of my favorite albums of all times. Also, I quite enjoy The Head & The Heart. Put them together and I'm a happy girl. We missed them at Newport this year, but this cover is a pretty fantastic consolation prize.

7. Ingrid Michaelson covers "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye


Recorded at the tail end of 2011 under her side project name ARMY of 3, this is the only Gotye cover that I accept as well done. The original song was my #2 favorite of 2011, so I had to include this cover as one of my faves of 2012. 

6. Nicki and the Gramblers cover "I Can't Go For That" by Hall and Oates


Were you there the day that the internet exploded with this incredible cover? Two words: KAZOO SOLO.

5. Ed Sheeran covers "Be My Husband" by Nina Simone


I only became aware of Ed Sheeran when The Husband and I caught him on an episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks. We instantly fell in love with his derpitude. Then I discovered that he's the guy that sings that A Team song. OH, WORD. This cover is beyond. ED IS THE BEST OKAY.


4. Punch Brothers cover "Just What I Needed" by The Cars



In my next life I want to be Thile's little knitted cap. GOOD GOD YOU ALL. This is the best thing.

3. Sea of Bees covers "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by John Denver



I AM OBSESSED WITH SEA OF BEES AND I AM OBSESSED WITH JOHN DENVER AND THIS IS PERFECTION AND I CAN'T HANDLE HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS UUUUUUUUUUGH.

2. Mercy!Mid-Atlantic covers "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" by Taylor Swift



Easily the most-listened-to of all of the covers on my top list this year, Mercy! Mid-Atlantic has done the impossible. They have made me love Taylor Swift. Or, at least, this song of hers. This cover is genius and I love everything about it the end.

1. Alabama Shakes cover "How Many More Times" by Led Zeppelin


Prepare thyself for greatness unlimited.

2 comments:

  1. Of the ones I watched...

    * Noah is amazing, watched a bunch of his other stuff, too! Nice find.

    * I did not care for the cover of Go Your Own Way. The female singer sounds quite awful to me. The male singer is just meh.

    * Nicki and the Gramblers sound good doing Gotye, but it's a major pet peeve of mine when a cover song is done in something other than the key of the original.

    * Sea of Bees = awesome!

    * Any Taylor Swift cover = can't do it, I want her to permanently lose her voice and just go away.

    Great post, love the concept.

    Here's my cover pick of 2012, courtesy of Kevin Hammond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-DX_lTXJE

    - DDB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Dan! I love hearing what other people think. And thanks for sharing your favorite cover of the year. I like that guy better than the dude from fun.

      Delete