Friday, April 27, 2012

Make This Happen: Quinoa Burgers


I tried a new recipe for dinner last night, and I had to share. These burgers were so delicious! I did not add any cumin to my mix, and I used less corriander than called for, but otherwise I followed the recipe completely. These would make great sliders, or I would even fry up small patties to put on top of a salad. 

Quinoa Burger (Vegan)
makes 4 patties or 8 sliders


1 1/2 c. cooked quinoa
3/4 c. cooked chickpeas
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. corriander
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
4 Tbs. whole wheat flour
salt + peppa to taste

1. Add all ingredients to a blender (preferably a VitaMix) and blend until smooth. (Note: If you do have a VMix, add the ingredients in this order. You will need to use the tamper to get everything mixed well.)

2. Your mix should be the consistency of a kind of moist dough - I found it was similar to when I make falafel. Transfer to a bowl and let it chill in the fridge for at least one hour.

3. Divide the mix into equal sized portions and form into patties.

4. Heat a bit of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the patties for 5 to 10 minutes per side, until they are browned and firm.

Serve on buns with your favorite toppings! Last night, I topped mine with some homemade guacamole (I just mash one avocado, squeeze half a lemon on top, and mix in a little salt and pepper), thick-cut tomato, green leaf lettuce, and a bit of ketchup.

You can also freeze these patties before you fry them. Simply form the patties and lay them on some waxed paper on top of a baking sheet. Put them in the freezer, and once they are frozen you can store them in a plastic bag or other freezer-safe container. Let them thaw in the fridge before frying them up.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! My falafel usually ends up a disaster so maybe these will be more successful. (Do you have a VitaMix?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have a VitaMix - it is amazing!

      Delete
  2. Do you suggest cooking dried chickpeas? Trying to make a menu and deciding what I need to get.

    ReplyDelete