The husband and I were so excited to have a night out to ourselves a couple of weeks ago, driving out to Northampton, MA. Here's a look at our night together!
1. Local Burger - One of our favorite places to eat of all time. Black Cherry soda, sweet potato fries with maple mayo for dipping, the biggest and most delicious beer-battered onion rings you will ever eat, and of course, burgers. On Friday nights they are open until 3am, and we had grand plans to stop back in to get some Captain Crunch coated chicken nuggets for the road, but it didn't happen. NEXT TIME.
2. Sweeties Fine Chocolates - Another must-visit on our Northampton list. They have a wide selection of homemade chocolates, including many vegan options. Also, a giant candy bar where you can fill your own bags with various gummies and hard candies. We made up a bag of gummies for the kids (long gone), and treated ourselves to some amaretto cordials and dark chocolate covered espresso beans. NOM.
3. Faces - You kind of have to go here whenever you're in town, whether you actually need to or not. This shop is filled with all kinds of things - clothing, home decor, weird stuff, teeshirts, greeting cards, and my personal Kryptonite, BLANK NOTEBOOKS.
4. Raven Used Books - We ducked into Raven Books for a minute as we were walking around. I almost bought a copy of The Sound and the Fury, but as we were rounding a corner, we heard a dude begin a conversation with the store clerk that was pretty much a general cue to leave the premises immediately: "Do you know anyone that's looking for a roommate? I just did two months in a mental hospital followed by one month in jail." NEXT.
5. La Fiorentina Pastry Shop - After all of that walking around, we decided that we needed some dessert, and also some coffee. It was now about 9:00, and the late show that we were going to didn't start until 10:00. We sat and talked and it was nice to have some quiet time together. I had a slice of carrot cake, and the husband had a sort of mocha-espresso tiramisu. Delish, as always.
6. The Iron Horse - Ah, yes. An evening with Robert Ellis, Shovels & Rope, and the incomparable Jonny Corndawg. I had to snap a quick pic of Jewel for our friend Bill. You can read all about my experience at the show right over here.