Thursday, December 29, 2011

Top 11 Live Moments of 2011

Just one more music list, okay? OKAY.

I thought about it a bit, and yo, I saw some pretty unbelievable live music this year. I mean. Some once-in-a-lifetime kind of stuff. I needed to do what I do and make a list of my favorite stuff that I actually got to be a part of.

HONORABLE MENTION: Middle Brother sings When My Time Comes, and you can hear it during a break in Elvis Costello's set on the other side of the stage, The Newport Folk Festival, Newport, RI



We were on the Elvis Costello side. Which I'm only marginally bitter about. But it was impossible to get to Middle Brother, especially considering the fact that the kids were with us and they were beyond exhausted. Anyway, this was one of my favorite things that happened all weekend, but it doesn't technically count as something that I saw. It's just what I heard. And yo, Elvis was pissed, which made me feel better about missing what was obviously a killer party on the other side.

11. brown bird at The Newport Folk Festival, Newport, RI



I couldn't find a clip from their actual set, so this little clip from the Backstage BBQ will have to do. I mean, they were amazing no matter where they were playing - definitely one of the highlights of the weekend for us. Will we finally get to see them solo in 2012?

10. Devil Makes Three at The Newport Folk Festival, Newport, RI



YESSSSSSSSSSS one million times over. We danced with them and loved it hard.

10. TYPHOON at The Newport Folk Festival, Newport, RI



A big band with a freaking gigantic sound. We were anticipating their performance for months before the festival, and oh my god. They did not disappoint.

8. Titus Andronicus at The Restoration Festival, Albany, NY



Oh sweet Amy Klein. I could have watched you play all night. I don't mean that in a creepy way. Okay maybe it's a little creepy.

7. Deer Tick at The Restoration Festival, Albany, NY



Oh sweet John McCauley. I could have watched you play all night. I definitely mean this in a creepy way. THE CREEPIEST.

6. Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside at The Newport Folk Festival, Newport, RI



It's tragic that this is only a 23 second clip, because this was my absolute favorite moment that happened during the festival (I'm not counting the BBQ because OKAY THAT WAS INSANE as you will soon see). The power shorted out, but they kept playing, and they did this incredible acoustic performance of Jolene, and I just. *swoon*

5. The Naked and Famous/Freelance Whales/Foals at The Met, Pawtucket, RI



It was Mother's Day. I drank some delicious local beer. I stalked Judah Dadone, yet ended up talking to Chuck Criss (CRISS BROTHERS RUIN LIVES). Everything blew my mind and it was a perfect date. The end.

4. Sallie Ford and John McCauley sing In Spite of Ourselves, Backstage BBQ, Newport, RI



CHRIST ON FIRE HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING MORE PRECIOUS IN YOUR LIFE I MEAN HAVE YOU EVER. If you asked me right now to choose one of them to make out with I honestly could not give you an answer. I AM WEEPING.

3. Pete Seeger sings Happy Birthday to Ramblin' Jack Elliot, Backstage BBQ, Newport, RI



I WAS THERE WHEN THIS HAPPENED OKAY ARE YOU DONE BEING JELLY YET BECAUSE I WILL UNDERSTAND IF YOU NEVER GET OVER IT.

2. The Avett Brothers at the Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY



The battle for number 1 was so difficult, because this bit in particular? When they played Head Full of Doubt? I don't think I've ever seen anything as amazing as this. I'm just not sure that I have.

1. Andrew Bird at the Troy Savings Music Hall, Troy, NY



Okay, there was maybe one thing that I saw that was more amazing than that. Andrew Bird. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR EVERYTHING. I mean. I was in the third row for this glorious evening, and if I had the option of still sitting there and listening to him for the rest of my days, I would be like, "Tell them I went willingly." Just. Bless all of this. Forever and ever. BEST.

0 comments:

Post a Comment