Sunday, November 13, 2011

Actual Conversations: Random Mother, 11/13/11, 11:45 a.m.

The scene: I am at Barnes & Noble, standing in the "teen fiction" section.

(Dear Barnes & Noble: Can you please just go back to labeling it Young Adult so that me and the other old lady browsing the shelves don't feel gross? Thanks.)

Boy (about 12 years old): I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Maybe something new?

Mother: Well, I don't know. What about those bone books that you like? Do you want to see if there are any more of those books?

Boy: I don't know.

Mother: What about Harry Potter? You've never read any of those. But, you've seen all of the movies, so I guess that would be pointless. Never mind.

I have never wanted to punch a person in the face more than I did at that moment.

A+ PARENTING. DISCOURAGING A CHILD FROM READING BOOKS BECAUSE HE'S SEEN THE MOVIES. WHICH, BY THE WAY, COULD NEVER CAPTURE EVEN HALF OF THE JOY OF THE WRITTEN WORDS, BUT THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT.

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment