Tuesday, October 25, 2011

$400 Grocery Challenge Week 3 Recap (My 100th Post!)


I didn't take any pictures last week. Things were crazy around the house, and I didn't get to go on my big grocery shopping trip until Thursday (!!!), so. I didn't even think about it. But considering that we spent most of the week without a proper stock-up, I think we ate some pretty good things.

I made homemade whole wheat pumpkin bagels with cream cheese, broccoli potato soup with some yogurt biscuits (YUM), a white bean and sausage soup with spinach, a thin-crust cheese pizza, and there was one night where we ate Subway. And perhaps another where we ate Chinese food. The husband has been working non-stop for the last few weeks (literally non-stop, 7 days a week), so I'm totally fine with the fact that we cheesed out and bought crappy food a couple of times this week. Sometimes it's just the way that it is. I can tell you one thing for sure: we cannot eat at Taco Bell ever again. Just no.

I spent $107.05 on my big stock-up trip, plus $20.19 on a quick trip earlier in the week to get us through. There were a lot of bulk staples that were purchased, such as flour, sugar, maple syrup ($17 right there), dried beans and butternut squash. I also got some great produce deals on apples, red grapes, potatoes and onions, as well as a buy 1 get 1 free deal on some Earthbound Farms mixed salad greens and baby spinach. These greens will last us well into this week for a few more meals.

Total spent this week: $127.24

Total spent so far: $258.09


I have already made a quick stop to the grocery store again yesterday to get some milk, and we did go to BJs on Sunday for a few more bulk items (butter, cheese, English muffins). So. If we add in the few times that we ate out last week, I think we'll still be under $400, which I'm feeling good about. I even managed to stash away some leftovers into the freezer for the husband to grab for work! Score!

And yay for my 100th post! My previous blogging attempts have collectively yielded a little over 100 posts, so. I'm pretty proud of myself for showing this much consistency. Allow me this moment of self-congratulation, courtesy of MTV Jams.




0 comments:

Post a Comment