Monday, October 17, 2011

$400 Grocery Challenge Week 2 Recap

PUMPKIN MUFFINS NOM

We ate some good things this week! I was really surprised at how much I was able to stretch with such a super-limited budget for the week, using things that we already had on hand.

This week I issued myself an even stricter challenge - I could only buy groceries with the $12 that I had in my bag. As it turned out, I actually had $18. BONUS.

We needed milk, and as it happened I had some CVS Extra Care Bucks (if you don't have a CVS, this is their rewards program where you get coupons worth dollar amounts that you can spend on anything) that were expiring. So I bought 2 gallons of milk, as well as several greeting cards and various other household items. With coupons and ECBs, I paid $1.19.

We stopped into the grocery store and I went straight to the bulk bins, stocking up on some healthy snack items - sesame sticks (the kids love these), pistachios (FOR ME) and pumpkin seeds. $6.65 spent.

I only had a few dollars left at this point, and that's when I discovered the extra $6 in my change purse. SO. Off to the smokehouse. We love our local smokehouse, Locust Grove, and we do not buy meat from anyplace else. All of their meat is local and grass fed, and also, DELICIOUS. I bought a package of bacon and a package of ground beef, and it was a little under $7 (I can't find my receipt).

Breakfast for dinner is always in style.

Orzo salad with spinach pesto

Things that we ate this week: Orzo salad with homemade bread and butter 
                                           Bacon, eggs, two-potato hash and toast with homemade strawberry jam
                                           Grilled cheese with bacon and avocado (NOM)
                                           Corn chip chili casserole (small batch of chili covered with corn chips + cheese)
                                           Toasted turkey subs with my mom's potato salad
                                           Pasta with sauce and fresh grated Parmesan
                                           2 loaves homemade bread
                                           18 pumpkin muffins

Grilled cheese with bacon and avocado.

Total spent this week: $14.84

Total spent so far: $130.85

I've got a pretty big grocery trip planned for this week, as we are out of a lot of staple items, now including flour, without which I can't make more bread. So. That will need to happen soon.

Also, I have managed to go nearly one full week without coffee! I can't even believe it. I am one of those people that is like, "DO NOT TALK TO ME UNTIL I HAVE HAD MY COFFEE", but I've been drinking a cup of tea in the morning for the last week and I feel great. I have never been one to get headaches, but over the last month or so I have been getting low-grade ones with some frequency. I haven't had one this week, so I'm going to keep track and see if the coffee might have been an issue. 

I am hoping to be able to check out the co-op in the next town over this week. They have a very large selection of bulk items, so I am interested to see what the prices are like. So far, even with my week of spending very little money, we seem to be at roughly $65/week, which I think is pretty normal for us. I am more than confident we can stay under $400.

0 comments:

Post a Comment