Monday, August 15, 2011

Freeze-Ahead Cooking

I've taken a couple of weeks off from freezer cooking, what with our vacation and my general cycle of laziness. But today I was back in full force, trying out some new recipes.

PLEASE TO ENJOY.


Freezer Fries - I've tried freezing fries before, and it did not work out at all. This is a different method, so I thought I would give it a try. I soaked the potatoes overnight and baked them today, then after they cooled I flash-froze them and threw them into a storage bag. We'll see how they taste upon re-heating!


Twice-Baked Potato Casserole - I doubled the recipe, and it made three 8x8 pans! Score! After everything was cool, I topped each casserole with a handful of shredded cheddar, then covered in plastic wrap, foil, and the plastic covers that came with the baking pans. You guys. YOU. GUYS. These are going to be so good. THERE IS BACON IN THERE.


Chopped Onions and Peppers - I bag these up in 1 cup increments. I chopped about 1 1/2 big green peppers and 2 bigish onions here, and it made 7 cups. These are just so great to have on hand for everything from soups and stews to toppings for hotdogs or smothered pork chops. Word.


Breakfast Cookies - Welp. These are a bit of a mixed bag. So I did the instructions for having the grains soak overnight, which I did in the fridge. When I took the dough out this morning, it was solid. SOLID AS A ROCK. So I had to wait for it to come to room temp before adding in the rest of the ingredients. I added chocolate chips to half of them, and raisins to the other half. I baked off a few to try them out, and flash froze the rest of the dropped cookies to bake later. They are super yummy, but also super soft and crumbly. Also, they look nothing like the photo at the link. I'm not sure if it's because I did something wrong, or because that's not the right photo. But in any case, they're pretty much like oatmeal cookies and they are delish. And they crumble. Which is not so good when your audience is 4 and 2 years old, respectively. DUSTBUSTER.

I was going to make some more burritos, but now I am beat. I will probably do them tomorrow, when I also have to make some more strawberry jam, and a couple of batches of mac and cheese.

It should come as no surprise that now, I have to begin cleaning my entire house, which was destroyed by the children as I cooked for them all day. WHAT EVEN.

0 comments:

Post a Comment