Wednesday, July 27, 2011

In Which Taco Salad Makes Me Rage About Unrelated Issues

Dinner last night. You can't go wrong with taco salad. You just can't. It's an irrefutable fact. If you don't like taco salad, I'm willing to bet you find Two and a Half Men funny, and you do not understand the definition of Communism. You are what is wrong with this country. Just so you know.

Normally, I would say that you should try your best to eat grass fed, local meat as much as you can. Because apparently, it's the right thing to do. But when it comes to making tacos? You need to buy the 75% to 80% lean, saran-wrapped mound 'o ground, found in your grocer's refrigerated meat section. You need some grease up in this piece.

I don't really care for the pre-mixed packets of taco seasoning that are out there. I make a quick blend of onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. It's easy enough to do it yourself, and I find that the pre-packaged stuff is too heavy on the cumin for my taste. I also find Community to be well-written and hilarious, and it received zero Emmy nominations.

I like to use Romaine lettuce in my taco salad. It's crunchy and is heartier than Iceberg, and I like the way it chops up. I recommend using Rio Rancho Tostada Bowls. They did not pay me or otherwise reward me for endorsing their product, I just find them to be tasty and they are readily available at Wal-Mart.

DAN HARMON IS A GENIUS YOU GUYS. But you're reading a recipe for taco salad. So you know this.

So. Throw some chopped Romaine in your taco bowl, then top with a few scoops of meat. Add some shredded cheese (I used a Monterey Jack blend) and whatever else you like. I topped with salsa and sour cream. Normally, I would add some black olives, but I'm clinging to the last two cans of black olives in our pantry in case this whole debt ceiling thing doesn't get resolved and we are forced to live off of whatever non-perishables we already have on hand. THREE CHEERS FOR DEMOCRACY, AMIRITE.


YOU CAN TAKE MY FREEDOM, BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE MY TACO SALAD. WELL, ACTUALLY YOU CAN TAKE MY TACO SALAD IN THE FORM OF TAX INCREASES AND INTEREST RATE HIKES. WELP.

0 comments:

Post a Comment