Friday, July 1, 2011

I Went Outside, and It Was Fun

I would like to first note that I did, indeed, have to google "capitalization in titles rules" to decide whether or not I should capitalize "it" in my title. I still have no idea if I'm correct or not. And I still don't know what the hell a participle is. (Um...when you use "google" as a verb, do you need to capitalize it? This is why I dropped my English major.)

Secondly, to divert further from the intended topic of this post, I will never stop using the Oxford comma. I just wanted to put that out there because I am still incredibly bitter towards my third grade English teacher who insisted that I "got creative with the comma usage," or "sure loves to use commas," or, as noted on later essays, "USES TOO MANY COMMAS." I mean. COMMAS ARE BEAUTIFUL THINGS OKAY AND THEY NEED TO BE USED OR ELSE THEY WILL DIE JUST LIKE TINKERBELL I NEED APPLAUSE TO SURVIVE OKAY FINN GAAAAAAAAAAAAHD.

/grammar rant


Yesterday was an absolutely gorgeous day. It was about 80 degrees, but there was a nice breeze. After the boy woke up from his nap, I grabbed an old comforter (The husband's. From college. Can it please get maimed in a horrible accident or ), a basket of snacks, and several books. We headed out to the backyard and we had so much fun.




I'm still getting the hang of my new camera lens. I've gotten pretty much accustomed to shooting in auto-focus, so having a lens that I have to shoot manual with has been a challenge. Especially because my eyesight is not the greatest, so sometimes a photo will seem in focus to me, but when I upload it, it's like WHAT DA HELL DID MR. MAGOO TAKE THESE.

We were outside for a little over 2 hours. We read stories, snacked on Pringles (or, as my children call them, Springles) and cold water, played Simon Says, had some races, and blew bubbles. Afterwards, I put the kids in the bathtub and hosed them down (NOTE: Our new detachable shower head was my idea. Best. Idea. Ever.). I gave them each a bowl with a couple of scoops of chocolate ice cream, and I was pretty much the best mom in the universe for a whole ten minutes.


I know that I don't take them outside nearly as much as I should. It's partially because I am not a fan of being outside. Bugs? Sunshine? The taste of fresh air mingling with my grilled cheese? These are not things that I enjoy. Also, we have a creek that runs through the very back of the yard, and the drop-off is high enough to make me worry that one or both of them will just be so engrossed with chasing a butterfly or something that they will trip and fly off the cliff and break their face. My issues. I need to get over them.

We might take the kids cherry picking tomorrow. I almost can't resist the super-cheap price, even though I know that we could very well be out there picking for an hour and end up with, like, a half a pound of cherries. Still, it could be fun. Or disaster. Either way, blog fodder.

3 comments:

  1. I assure you that you are correct in capitalizing the "i" in "It." Because I was an English major. And I'm a proofreader. But I can't tell you what a participle is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I am so glad you're blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I specifically remember learning comma rules and I will forever use the Oxford Comma because that is what I learned and I am old and I cannot change. Also, observe: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/627/02/

    ReplyDelete