Thursday, July 21, 2011

Falafel Burgers Are Good You Guys

So, as I have previously established, IT'S HOT IN HURRRRRRR. And not in a Super Bowl Sunday Halftime Extravaganza kind of way (more on my feelings about Nelly becoming a permanent fixture at said event another day). It's gross. It's hot. IT'S WHAT THE GOVERNMENT WOULD DESCRIBE AS OPPRESSIVE, IF THEY UNDERSTOOD THE TERM. I mean it's not even 9 a.m. right now, and it's already 81 degrees.

So to continue on my quest to avoid the stove this week, last night I made Falafel Burgers.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDES.

I got the idea and the basics of the recipe from pretty much my favorite food blog of all times, The Food in My Beard. This blog. This blog. You need to follow this blog. Not only is it well written and easy to follow, but also right before Hot Sauce Committee Part Two came out, Dan did this whole thing where he made all of the foods mentioned in Beastie Boys songs and I just kind of lost it at that point. 

I made a few changes to his recipe, but basically I jacked his swag and it was delicious.

Falafel Burgers (makes 4 patties)

2 15oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
a few grinds of black pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. corriander
1/3 c. flour



1. Blitz the chickpeas in a food processor (I have a VitaMix, which is one of the best purchases we have ever made - it's incredible) until smooth. If you don't have a food processor, you can mash them up with a potato masher. See how smooth mine are? There are still a few chunks here and there for texture.


2. Add in all seasonings and flour. You should end up with a ball that is similar in texture to a cookie dough. Do like G. Love and stick it in the fridge while you make your dill sauce.


3. Make the dill sauce. A quick note to explain that generally, you would put tzatziki on these burgers, but I did not have any Greek yogurt or cucumbers on hand, so I had to improvise. This sauce was good, though!

Dill Sauce


1/2 c. sour cream
1 tbs. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbs. dried dill weed

Mix it. Again - these measurements are approximate as I just threw it all together until it tasted good. Stick it in the fridge until you're ready to serve the burgers.


4. Give the rogue kitchen ballerina some hard gummi bears and water. (Do I even need to go there.)


5. Time to fry! Get a nice, heavy skillet and fill it with about 1/2" of veggie oil. Separate your "dough" into four equal parts and form patties. Lightly coat the patties in flour (I skipped this step, a grievous error.) and fry in the hot oil, flipping once, until they are browned on both sides. Because I skipped the flour dipping part, my patties did not get terribly crunchy on the outside, which is really how you want them to be.


6. Serve on buns with the dill sauce, lettuce and tomatoes. Or whatever you like. It's your burger okay. I served ours with green beans and potato chips. WE FANCY HUH.

Even though my patties weren't very crispy, they were still pretty dern good. I'm thinking about throwing one of the leftovers onto a salad. NOM.

And now I have to go because I need to find a curtain to hang up over the entrance to our kitchen because the husband says that it will get the family room cooler faster when I turn the A/C on. It will also give the children something to do for about 20 minutes or so as they take turns running through it and then getting caught it in and then falling down and then yelling that they need an ice pack and a Dora bandaid.

SUMMA SUMMA SUMMA TIME. SUMMA TIME. TIME TO SIT BACK AND WISH YOU LIVED SOMEWHERE WITH A MODERATE CLIMATE.


0 comments:

Post a Comment