Monday, July 4, 2011

Cherry, Cherry


I spent a good deal of the afternoon yesterday de-stemming and pitting cherries. Yo. PITTING CHERRIES IS NO JOKE. Especially when you are working with a pitter that can only handle one cherry at a time. I choose to believe that by pitting each cherry on its own, I am giving my jam a little more love. Next year, I want this. Stoner. *snicker*

For the past four years, I have made a blend of cherry and blueberry jam which I lovingly call The Dark Knight. The first summer that I made it was in 2008, the summer that The Dark Knight was released, and the jam itself is this beautiful dark purple, and it's sweet and so yummy on toast with butter or warmed up and poured over lemon pound cake. UUUUUGH. I canned 5 jars of it, which will never be enough, but I'm amping my jam production WAY UP this year, so there will be plenty of other flavors to choose from.

I canned 2 1/2 jars of straight cherry jam. I was hoping to get 3 full jars, but you know how that goes. I was hanging on to the last 2 1/2 cups of cherries to try something totally new.


Cherry Chocolate Syrup.

It smelled amazing. I was excited. The only drawback is that you have to keep it in the fridge and use it up in three weeks.  Which I'm thinking will not be a problem, because the husband loved it. We had some last night, drizzled over vanilla ice cream. It was a little sour for my liking, but I'm willing to give it another go. He suggested making a milkshake with it, which I think would be awesome. I would also like to try it warmed up and over pound cake. Because that's how I like things. WARMED UP AND POURED OVER POUND CAKE.


I was going to make some blueberry jam while I had all of the supplies out and ready, but I ran out of jars. Which has never happened before, because most years I just do a couple of jams. I'll need to remedy that situation soon, because blueberry picking will be happening in just a couple of weeks.

We we we so excited.

Also. Please.

1 comment: